The land Northcote is built on originally belonged to Henry Pete Esq, a well known Lancashire landowner. Building commenced in 1880 on the house that was destined to be the private dwelling of Mary Elizabeth Yates, a local spinster. It is the Yates family coat of arms which adorns the exerior of the building.
A family residence
In 1886, Richard Farnworth moved into Northcote along with his wife and family. He made his fortune as a cornflour merchant and was from Preston. Their eldest son Harry followed in his father’s footsteps as a merchant while Arthur became an electrical engineer. The family had a servant whose main duty was to cook for the family of seven who resided here for 25 years.
An insurance broker bought the house in 1911. Joseph David Esq spent 18 years here and sold it to widow Annie Mary Birtwistle for the princely sum of £4,550. The property remained in the hands of the Birtwistles for 50 years until 1979.
Northcote became a four-bedroom hotel with a 50-seater restaurant and was owned by Mr Sittar, a businessman in the licensing trade. In 1983 it was purchased by John Wolstenholme of Westwood Garages who brought Craig Bancroft and Nigel Haworth to create his dream of Northcote becoming one of the finest restaurants and country house hotels in the UK.
The restaurant won a Michelin star in 1996 and has retained it to this day.
In 2019, Northcote became part of the Stafford Collection family, an independently owned luxury portfolio of beautiful properties in distinct locations in the UK.