A Northcote Heritage Break
Unlocking the secrets of Stonyhurst
11th July 2016
Walk in the footsteps of Conan Doyle and Tolkien - and discover the secrets behind the grand facade of 16th century Stonyhurst College and the parish church of St. Peter. Northcote’s exclusive break offers unparalleled insight into one of Lancashire’s grandest estates, with a private guided tour and dinner at the hotel followed with a fascinating talk by college curator, Jan Graffius.
The Stonyhurst Tour
Stonyhurst houses a breathtaking array of collections encompassing artefacts, manuscripts and art spanning millennia. This tour will reveal some of these treasures - from artworks by Rembrandt and Durer, to the prayer book of Mary, Queen of Scots, a First Folio of Shakespeare and many more intriguing pieces of world history. The dinner lectures will delve into even more detail about the collections and will be presented by Stonyhurst curator Jan Graffius, whose research into the college’s collections of relics and Shakespearean works has frequently featured on BBC television and Radio 4.
- Arrive early afternoon and enjoy a Cream Tea in the lounge before your personal tour of Stonyhurst.
- 3.00pm - Following a short journey through the nearby village of Whalley, arrive at the Stonyhurst estate and approach the main entrance via the grand driveway.
- Welcome by Jan Graffius, Stonyhurst’s first dedicated curator and custodian of the College’s artefacts, before the secrets of
the collections in the historic libraries are revealed.
- Return to Northcote for relaxation before dinner.
- 7.30pm - Craig Bancroft is your host for a Louis Roederer Brut Premier Champagne Reception served with a selection of canapés.
- 8.00pm - A 4-course dinner will be served to the Stonyhurst party in The Louis Roederer private dining rooms.
- Jan Graffius returns to talk about the collections and the impact of some of the college’s famous former pupils.
- Wake up the following morning to Northcote’s famous Lancashire breakfast with your guests.
- Receive a copy of ‘Stonyhurst’. Beautifully illustrated and written by former teacher Tom Muir, this book vividly brings to life the history of this remarkable institution.
The Evening's Menu
By Chef Patron Nigel Haworth
Louis Roederer Champagne & Canapés
Wester Ross Salmon ''Just Cooked'', Fennel Pollen, Sweet Onion, Kitchen Tobacco & Viola Flowers
Butternut Squash Soup
Salt Marsh Lamb, Courgettes, Spinach, Lemon Marmalade, Pistachio Crumble, Basil
Apple Crumble Soufflé, Lancashire Cheese Ice Cream
Tea, Coffee & Petits Fours
House wines and mineral water included
The Secrets of Stonyhurst Break
Prices from £395, fully inclusive.
Per room based on two sharing.
Single occupancy from £300.
16th November 2015 & 22nd February 2016.