Pickled Red Cabbage
- 300g Finely shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Star Anise
- 400ml Red Wine
- 275ml Malt Vinegar
- 140ml White Wine Vinegar
- 140ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 10 Whole Cloves
- 1tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1tsp Whole Pink Peppercorns
- 1 Stick Cinnamon (snapped in half)
- 5 Whole Dried Chillies
- 250g Sugar
- 80g Course sea salt
- Half and quarter the red cabbage.
- De-vein away the large stem and finely slice the red cabbage leaves.
- Salt the red cabbage well in a colander for 2-3 hours until a deep rich colour is achieved.
- Drain and wash all the salt away thoroughly – pat dry
- Place all the vinegars, wine and sugar in a suitable pan and reduce by half.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a pestle and mortar and coarsely pound.
- When the reduction is near completion throw all the dry spices into the reduction and allow to infuse for 5 minutes. Pass the reduction through a fine sieve and while warm pour onto the red cabbage.
- Place the cabbage in a suitable jar and seal. The liquor should just cover the cabbage.