Lancashire Cheese Soufflé, Beetroot Relish, Milk Foam
10g unsalted butter for melting
20g unsalted butter
20g plain flour
120g whole milk
60g Shorrocks Lancashire Bomb Cheese
85g Lancashire Cheese
135g Egg White
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the beetroot relish:
100g pickled beetroot (see recipe)
for the cheese foam:
50g double cream
50g whole milk
40g Lancashire Cheese
for the salad garnish:
5g mixed baby leaf salad
2g micro cress
a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare four ramekins by brushing the melted butter upwards along the sides, then lightly dust with flour. Set aside and pre-heat the oven to 160°C (fan assisted).
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. When foaming, add the flour to make a roux and cook out for 20 seconds. Ensure the roux doesn’t gain any colour.
- Gradually add the milk, a little at a time whilst stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Once all the milk has been added, lower the heat and add both cheeses. Stir until the cheese has melted fully, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in the spotlessly clean metal bowl of a mixer. Add a pinch of salt and whisk to soft peak stage.
- Whilst the mixture is still warm, carefully fold the egg whites into the mix and spoon into the prepared ramekins.
- Place the soufflés in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the soufflés have risen well and are lightly golden on top. Don’t open the oven door once the soufflés are in the oven, the influx of cold air may make them collapse.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the ramekins and arranging onto a baking tray, set aside until ready to serve.
For the beetroot relish:
Place the pickled beetroot into a jug and use a stick blender to whizz to a purée. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the cheese foam:
Place the milk and cream together in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir the cheese into the pan. Stir until the cheese has melted completely. Use a stick blender to aerate the sauce.
Place the soufflés back into the ramekins and add a little of the sauce. Gently re-heat the soufflés for 5 minutes in the oven set at 160°C (fan assisted).
Arrange a soufflé in the centre of a warmed, large rimmed bowl and spoon some milk foam over and around. Centre a quenelle of beetroot relish on top of the soufflé and garnish with the baby leaf salad lightly dressed in extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.