Bruno's Fruit Scones are irresistable with Afternoon Tea, or simply bake and enjoy warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam. You can't beat a classic!
440g plain flour
30g baking powder
80g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
80g unsalted butter, diced
150ml double cream
For the egg wash:
1 egg yolk
Good pinch of salt
- Using just your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it is no longer visible
- Add the sultanas.
- Mix the milk and cream together, and add to the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Once it starts to come together, turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently just until it forms a smooth, soft dough.
- Wrap in cling film and leave for an hour
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to 2.5cm / 1 inch thick and cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- For the egg wash, beat all ingredients together and pass through a fine sieve. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.