The Manor before our timeThe land upon which Northcote Manor is built originally belonged to Henry Pete Esq, a well known Lancashire landowner. Building commenced in 1880 on the house that was destined to be the private dwelling of Mary Elizabeth Yates, a local spinster. And it is the Yates Family Coat of Arms which adorns the exterior of the building. Construction was financed by a long succession of mortgages which were supplied by local businessmen and entrepreneurs.
Whilst work was in progress, Mary resided at Mytton Fold Farm, just a few hundred yards from the site of her new investment. The house was completed a year later. However, after only 5 years of residing at Northcote, she gave up the house and it was rented out to a local family. The precise reason for this move is unknown, but we do know that in 1891 she married John Stelfox and went to live with him at his abode in Tavistock Square, Middlesex.
In 1886 Richard Farnworth moved into Northcote, along with his wife and family. He was a local Preston man who made his fortune as a cornflour merchant. At the Manor, he lived with his wife Anne and their five children. The eldest, Harry, followed in his father's footsteps as a merchant. The other son, Arther, chose a completely different career path and earned his living as an electrical engineer. The household had just one servant, her name was Mary Foulder, and at the age of 20 her main duty was cook for the family.
In 1911 ownership of the house changed hands to Joseph Davis Esq., a local insurance broker. Mr Davis spent 18 years at Northcote and eventually sold to a local widow, Annie Mary Birtwistle.
Annie Mary Birtwistle took up residence in 1929, and was the widow of Albert Birtwistle, a prominent local business man who was a cotton spinner and manufacturer. The house was bought for the pricely sum of £4,550. Northcote remained in the hands of the Birtwistles for 50 years, during this time ownership changed hands from Hilda to Amy Birtwistle and then finally to Albert, who passed away in 1979.
From 1979 Northcote Manor became a four bedroom hotel with a 50 seater restaurant owned by a successful businessman in the licensing trade, Mr Sittar. In 1983 the beginning of Northcote's ambitions as they are today were started by the purchase of Northcote Manor by John Wolstenholme of Westwood garages who brought Craig and subsequently Nigel to create his ambition as one of the finest restaurants and country house hotels in the UK.